Referencing Procedure

Referencing Procedure

When you find the property that’s right for you, we will need you to complete an application form. We utilise the services of a credit-referencing agency to take up the following references, here is an example of just a few of the references sought:

  • Confirmation of employment.
  • Personal & Photographic identification (passport or driving licence).
  • Previous Landlord references.
  • Students (Guarantor or proof or funding).
  • Self-Employed (Accountants references, trading details etc)
  • Proof of benefits ( proof of payment, entitlement letter or bank statements)

Back to top

Holding Deposit

A holding deposit of a weeks worth of the rent for the property will be required to reserve the property and to take it off the market. The holding deposit will be deducted from the first months rent and deposit which would be due pre signing the tenancy agreement, should the tenant (s) withdraw from the proposed letting, through no fault of the landlord or the agent, all or a proportion of the ‘Holding Deposit’ will be retained in order to cover any reasonable costs (which will be outlined in full). None of the Holding Deposit will be retained should the Tenant’s withdrawal be due to a breach of the proposed letting agreement by the landlord or managing agent.

The holding deposit shows good faith on the part of a prospective tenant enabling the landlord to take further action in the confident knowledge that the applicant is serious and fully committed to the property:

For example:

  • Cancel any advertising for the letting
  • Tell other applicants that the tenancy has been taken subject to satisfactory references
  • Prepare a letting agreement
  • Take up references
  • Carry out credit checks

Back to top


A deposit will be taken which will equate to no more than a months rent. This will be registered with the deposit protection service withing 24 hours of payment to us. You will receive details of the deposit scheme via email from DPS

We do NOT charge any letting fees for residential tenants

It is imperative that you disclose all relevant facts that may adversely affect your reference outcome, prior to entering into the above.

Back to top

Tenancy Agreement

Both the Landlord via the letting agent and tenant (s) will be required to sign a tenancy agreement prior to the tenancy commencing, the agreement outlines both tenant and landlord obligations.

Our tenancies run for a period of six months. A renewal is not required as the tenancy would continue as a statutory periodic tenancy should you stay longer than the initial six month term. It is important you read the tenancy agreement carefully before signing.

Upon signing the tenancy agreement a copy will be made available to you.

Back to top


Once a moving date has been agreed and references have all been approved by the landlord, the tenancy agreement will need to be signed by all parties and the initial monies in full will become due less any holding deposit previously paid:

This is made up of the following:

  • Deposit equal to a months rent.
  • The first months rent in advance. ( per calendar month basis)

The above monies need to be cleared in full  before the tenancy is able to commence, payment by means of  cash or paid directly into our client bank account and showing as cleared.

Back to top

Managed Properties

We do get instructed to fully manage some of our landlord’s properties, if this is the case, with your tenancy we will inform you prior to your tenancy commencing. If we are managing then any faults with appliances or problems within the property will need to be reported to us and we will deal with the problem as quickly and efficiently as possible. Failure to report an ongoing problem may turn the onus onto you; please report any problems you feel need attention.

Back to top

Rental Payment

Rental payments are due monthly on the date of the tenancy commencing and then on that date the following month thereafter for the duration of the tenancy.  Payment can be made via bank transfer ( account details will be disclosed to you when singing tenancy agreement) or in cash.

Back to top

Notice to end a tenancy

To terminate your tenancy, you will be required to give us at least one month notice in writing of your intention to leave.

The responsibility for your belongings are down to you, you must ensure you have adequate contents insurance, the landlord accepts no responsibility and cannot be held responsible for any loss or damage to tenants possessions.

Back to top


An Inventory check will be carried out prior to the tenancy commencing , this will include the entire property and contain any damages and the condition of the property on the day it was inspected.

The condition of the property and its contents at the end of the tenancy is then compared back to this report to determine  whether any damage that has arisen during the tenancy is attributable to the tenants, to ‘fair wear and tear’ or to the landlord as required maintenance.

Back to top

Deposit Returns

When your tenancy ends, an inspection of the property will be carried out, either by the us the managing agent or an independent inventory clerk instructed by the landlord. Should the property be returned in the condition it was let out to you, the deposit would be retuned in full. If there is damage done to the property, a claim against your deposit could be made.

Back to top

Tenants’ obligations

The responsibility for the property lies with the tenant during the period of tenancy, always ensure that the property is fully secured and that during the winter months steps are taken to prevent freezing of the water and heating system.

Back to top

Property Inspection

If we are instructed as managing agents for your property, we will carry out quarterly inspections  to assess the condition of the property and that everything is being kept in a satisfactory condition. We will always arrange this with you at a mutually convenient time.

Back to top

Council Tax & Utilities

It is the tenant’s responsibility to inform the utility companies of their occupation of the property at the commencement of the tenancy, and to pay council tax to the local authority. Students, who may be exempt from the payment of council tax, are responsible for informing the Local Authority of this.